via worldcantwait.net http://ift.tt/1fZrRV9
via worldcantwait.net http://ift.tt/1fZrRV9
from worldcantwait.net http://ift.tt/1fZrRV9
via Alternet http://ift.tt/1k8FHtB
1) 42 percent of Black children are educated in all high-poverty schools (both elementary and secondary). By comparison: 38 percent of Latino children are educated in high-poverty schools, 31 percent of Native American children are educated in high-poverty schools, 15 percent of Pacific Islander and Asian children are educated in high-poverty schools, and 6 percent of White children are educated in high-poverty schools.
2) Black youth make up 16 percent of public school students and 9 percent of private school students in grades K–12 nationwide but account for: 35 percent of in-school suspensions, 35 percent of those who experience one out-of school suspension, 46 percent of those who experience multiple out-of-school suspensions, and 39 percent of those who are expelled.
3) The unemployment rate for Black high school dropouts is 47 percent. By comparison, the unemployment rate for White high school dropouts is 26 percent.
4) 78 percent of Black Americans live within 30 miles of a coal-fired power plant, compared with 56 percent of White Americans.
5) African Americans are 20 percent more likely than Whites to have asthma, a condition that is exacerbated by air pollution.
6) Black Americans cause one-eighth the amount of global warming pollution caused by White Americans.
7) Hurricane Katrina shrank the Black population in New Orleans by 57 percent.
ENTERTAINMENT & SPORTS
8) Black writers are underrepresented as television writers by a factor of 2 to 1, compared with the percentage of Black people in the U.S. general population.
9) Black actors have received only 4 percent of the Oscars for best acting since 1929.
10) Although African Americans make up just 67 percent of the players in the NFL, Black players received 92 percent of the unsportsmanlike conduct penalties during the 2010–11 season—a statistic that sociologists believe may be linked to a negative reaction to “cockiness” or “self-promotion” when demonstrated by a Black player.
11) Black mothers are more than twice as likely as White mothers to experience the death of a baby within the first 28 days of the infant’s life.
12) African Americans make up 4 percent of all adults reporting serious psychological distress, but that percentage doubles for African Americans below the poverty line.
13) Most of the nation’s worst food deserts are disproportionately located in cities with a high percentage of Black Americans. The nine worst food deserts are located in the following cities (percent African American): New Orleans (60 percent), Chicago (33 percent, Atlanta (54 percent), Memphis (63 percent), Minneapolis (19 percent), San Francisco, in the historically Black communities Bayview, Hunters Point, and Visitacion Valley (33 percent and 13, respectively), Detroit (83 percent),New York City (26 percent), Camden, New Jersey (48 percent)
14) Only 14 percent of Black Americans have a great deal of confidence in local police officers to treat Black and White Americans equally, compared with 38 percent of Whites.
15) Nationwide, 16 percent of persons under the age of 18 are Black, and 32 percent of total juvenile arrests are of Black youth.
16) 55 percent of Black Americans report avoiding certain places or neighborhoods because of a concern over crime, compared with 46 percent of White Americans.
17) Wages grow at a 21 percent slower rate for Black formerly incarcerated people than for White formerly incarcerated people.
18) The rate of drug use among Black people ages 12 and older is 10 percent, yet Black people account for 32 percent of those arrested for “drug abuse violations” in the United States.
MONEY & JOBS
19) The unemployment rate for African Americans with a four-year college degree is 8 percent, almost double the unemployment rate for similarly educated Whites (4.5 percent).
20) The current Black real median household income is 16.8 percent lower than its pre-2001 recession peak.
21) Although Black (including multiracial Black) people make up just 14 percent of the U.S. population, 37 percent of people who are homeless are Black.
22) African Americans are nearly twice as likely as all Americans to have been affected by the mortgage lending crisis; up to one-quarter of all African Americans who purchased a home in the years leading up to the 2008 recession may ultimately lose it.
POLITICS, VOTING, CIVIL ENGAGEMENT
23) African Americans compose 8 percent of state legislators nationwide, a figure almost unchanged since 1992, when 7 percent of state legislators were Black.
24) 25 percent of elderly African American voters (compared with 8 percent of elderly Whites) do not possess the identification that would be required under new photo-ID laws introduced in 40 states before the 2012 election.
25) One in every 13 African Americans of voting age is disenfranchised because of a felony conviction, a rate more than four times greater than the rate for the rest of the U.S. population.
via io9 http://ift.tt/1mWv55N
Last March, Mississippi doctors announced that early and aggressive treatment of an HIV-positive newborn had cured the child of her infection . Today, Los Angeles doctors reported that a second child may have been cured by a similar course of treatment, and could help prove that the Mississippi child’s recovery was more than a stroke of luck.
from Laughing Squid http://ift.tt/1kzfhEe
http://ift.tt/eA8V8J In an effort to raise awareness of the ongoing Syrian Civil War, Save the Children UK created this powerful video that depicts a hypothetical civil war in London through the eyes of a girl. The video, which is in the second-a-day format, shows a year in the child’s life as London descends into violence around [...]
from io9 http://ift.tt/1ouifqS
The treatment is considered radical, and the results were drawn from a small scale human trial, but for the first time in medical history, researchers have boosted their patients’ ability to fight HIV by replacing some of their natural immune cells with genetically modified versions.
via disinformation http://ift.tt/1gSvMFO
The Russian administration says that it will have no choice but to respond if the United States imposes economic sanctions over the ongoing Crimean crisis.
The Obama administration and the hotheads in Congress are threatening to hit Russia with “economic sanctions” for moving troops into Crimea. Yes, those sanctions would sting a little bit, but what our politicians should be made aware of is the fact that Russian officials are promising “to respond” if economic sanctions are imposed on them. As you will read about below, one top Kremlin adviser is even suggesting that Russia could abandon the U.S. dollar and start dumping U.S. debt. In addition, he is also suggesting that if sanctions are imposed that Russian companies would not repay the debts that they owe U.S. banks. Needless to say, Russia could do far more economic damage to the United States than the United States could do to Russia.
The post Crimean Crisis: Russia Threatens to Abandon US Dollar And Dump American Debt appeared first on disinformation.
via disinformation http://ift.tt/1hR7uho
They’re saying it might be a suicide. There’s been a lot of theft, hacking and bad press aimed at Bitcoin lately. Now this. Make you wonder…
The 28-year-old American boss of a Bitcoin exchange has been found dead at the base of a Singapore apartment block, police and reports said Thursday, in the latest misfortune linked with the troubled virtual currency.
Singapore police said they were investigating the “unnatural” death of Autumn Radtke, chief executive of Singapore-based First Meta, on February 26, but that no foul play was suspected.
A local technology website first reported she may have committed suicide, but later updated its report to say it was “unclear” how she died.
Broadcaster Channel NewsAsia said on its website Thursday that Radtke “was found dead at the bottom of an apartment block”.
Her death comes as the virtual currency community is in turmoil after the collapse of Tokyo-based MtGox, one of the longest-established Bitcoin exchanges, due to a suspected theft worth nearly half a billion dollars.
The post 28 Year-Old Bitcoin Exchange CEO Found Dead in Singapore appeared first on disinformation.
via disinformation http://ift.tt/1cGSsfp
The Texas Tribune will be offering a live stream of Edward Snowden’s conversation with ACLU Chief Technologist Christopher Soghoian on Monday. Here’s the link to the stream. Bookmark it and plan to watch Monday, March 10, 12:00 PM EDT.
Surveillance and online privacy look to be one of the biggest topics of conversation at the 2014 SXSW Interactive Festival. The number of sessions on this topic reflect the importance of this issue to the digital creatives who converge in Austin each March. As organizers, SXSW agrees that a healthy debate with regards to the limits of surveillance is vital to the future of the online ecosystem.
On Monday, March 10 at 11:00 am, join us for a conversation between Edward Snowden and Christopher Soghoian, the principal technologist of the American Civil Liberties Union. The conversation will be focused on the impact of the NSA’s spying efforts on the technology community, and the ways in which technology can help to protect us from mass surveillance.
The post Here’s How You Can Watch a Live Stream of Edward Snowden’s Virtual Appearance at SXSW Monday appeared first on disinformation.
via disinformation http://ift.tt/1k7Q29a
Picture: Espen Moe (CC)
Julian Assange Skyped into music and culture festival South by Southwest to address the masses. He had some choice words for interviewer Benjamin Palmer of digital advertising firm the Barbarian Group.
Industry site AdAge reported that Assange was referring to Google when he made the comment, but I can’t help to wonder if he had meant to include the Barbarian Group, as well as SXSW’s ubiquitous corporate sponsors. He also made some other interesting comments about the NSA and the “military occupation of the internet,” which you can read here.
I found one full video of the event, and I can’t guarantee it will be live for very long. It’s after the jump. Watch it while you can
It was still one of the more interesting and different sessions for SXSW attendees, who thus far have been inundated as expected with expensive and often pointless brand activations.
The post Julian Assange at SXSW: ‘People Are Products Sold to Advertisers’ appeared first on disinformation.